Zoning 2017-02-16T15:23:41+00:00

Zoning Districts

The City of Phenix City has two types of Zoning Districts: General Purpose Zoning District and Special Purpose Zoning Districts and Designations. These two types of Zoning Districts include:

  • R-1, Low Density Residential
  • R-1A, Low Density Residential
  • R-1B, Low Density Residential
  • R-2, Medium Density Residential
  • R-3, High Density Residential
  • RC Residential Conservation
  • A-1, Low Density Residential and General Agriculture
  • A-O, Apartment and Office
  • C-1 Core Commercial
  • C-2, General Commercial
  • C-3, Neighborhood Commercial
  • C-4, Highway Commercial
  • M-1, General Manufacturing
  • M-2, Heavy Manufacturing
  • MED, Medical
  • C-O, Highway Corridor Overlay
  • H-P, Historic Preservation Overlay
  • MHP, Manufactured Home Park
  • PD, Planned Development

We will be glad to assist you in finding the correct zoning of a piece of property. Please provide us with a street address and/or tax map number. It would be more helpful if you could fax us a copy of the lot in question to 334-448-2742, so we can therefore provide you with the proper setback and other requirements of the zone. View a copy of the Phenix City Zoning Ordinance.

Special Exception Permits

In addition to permitted uses, there are other uses which may be necessary or desirable to allow on certain locations in certain districts, but because of their actual or potential impact on neighboring uses need to be carefully regulated with respect to their location. Such uses, on account of their peculiar location need or the nature of the service offered, may have to be established in a district in which they cannot be reasonably allowed as a permitted use. Such uses are generally specified in the district requirements under “Uses Permitted on Appeal.” These uses are called “special use.” Such uses require special permission granted by the Board of Zoning Adjustments and Appeals. These uses must be in harmony with the intent and purpose of the neighborhood in which it is to be located.
Special Exception Permit Application


Any property owner may file an application for a variance from the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance where it is claimed that, by reason of exceptional narrowness, shallowness, or shape or by reason of other exceptional topographic conditions, or other extraordinary and exceptional situations or conditions of such piece of property existing at the time of the adoption of the ordinance, the strict application and literal enforcement of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance would result in peculiar, exception, undue, and unnecessary hardship upon such owner.
Application for Variance

Board of Zoning Adjustments & Appeals

All special exceptions and variance must go before the Board of Zoning Adjustments and Appeals. Applications (above) must be returned 21 days before board meetings. Any associated fee is payable at time of filing.  Board of Zoning Adjustments and Appeals meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month, unless it is a holiday, at 5:30 p.m., in the Council Chambers located in the Public Safety Building at 1111 Broad Street, first floor.